Am I Eligible?
To be eligible, you must have a valid operator’s license and automobile insurance (both at the time of the citation and at time of enrollment) and must not have participated in the Henderson CATS Program for a violation received in the past year. Also, you must not have already paid the Henderson District Court Clerk for the fine and court costs for the ticket, because once that is paid, the case is final and the Clerk cannot refund the money.
Most minor moving violations not involving an allegation of driving under the influence are considered for the program; however, the Henderson County Attorney reserves the right to exclude applicants based on the seriousness of the moving violation, criminal history and/or the number of past moving violations.
Examples of Common, Accepted Violations
The following moving violations are common violations which qualify for the CATS Program.
- Careless Driving
- Disregarding compulsory turn lane
- Disregarding Stop Sign
- Disregarding Traffic Control Device
- Failure to / Improper Signal
- Failure to Illuminate / Dim Headlights
- Failure to stop (signal, RR crossing or stop sign)
- Failure to yield
- Following too closely
- Improper Driving
- Improper lane usage (vehicles keep right except to pass or overtaking vehicle)
- Improper Start
- Improper Turn (illegal U-turn)
- Speeding (less than 26 miles per hour (MPH) over the limit)
- Too fast for conditions
- Too slow for conditions
- Vehicle not under control
- Wrong way on one-way street
Ineligible Violations or Charges
The following charges and/or criteria will make you ineligible for the CATS program.
- Changing Drivers in a Moving Vehicle
- Driving on Wrong Side of Roadway
- Eluding Police
- Failure to Appear (including in the potentially CATS-eligible case)
- Failure to Maintain Insurance
- Failure to Stop for School or Church Bus
- Failure to Yield to Emergency Vehicle
- Following an Emergency Vehicle too closely
- Infraction which results in an accident
- Improper Passing
- More than eight (8) points on license
- More than three offenses on this traffic ticket
- Participated in CATS Program within last twelve (12) months
- Pending misdemeanor or felony charges
- Possession of a CDL (pursuant to KRS 186.574; 49 C.F.R. § 384.226)
- Reckless driving
- Speeding 26 miles per hour (MPH) or greater
- A violation of KRS Chapter 189 in which a mandatory license revocation or suspension occurs
- A person who has not enrolled in the CATS Program within one calendar month from the original court date listed on his/her traffic citation.